In 2003, MKP authorized the creation of Gateway NWTAs, whose purpose is to create a level of trust and safety for men of a culturally marginalized population; men who otherwise might not choose to attend or fully step into the intended transformation of the NWTA. Since then, MKP has held Gateway NWTAs focused on GBTQ, Indigenous, Young warrior, Deaf/Hard of hearing, Urban and Bilingual populations. Our newest Gateway training is the upcoming Barrier Free NWTA, creating an inclusive environment for men of varying physical abilities. In this issue, hear from a few men deeply invested in Gateways...
Greg Gondron was instrumental in the creation of gateway NWTAs and has led many of them (especially deaf & hard of hearing and GBTQ trainings). Hear Greg's take on the importance and impact of these weekends!
Why staff a Gateway NWTA?
1. If you are a historically included man (hetero, white, Euro, middle-class, able-bodied, etc.), experience just a taste of what it's like to be in the minority.
2. If you identify as a member of the Gateway focus population, experience the safety and freedom that comes with being part of a container intentionally created for and populated with men who share that identity.
2. Stretch yourself and grow into the unfamiliar; step outside your comfort zone.
3. Make new and different connections (again, possibly outside your comfort zone).
4. Learn from and about men who spend most of their lives very aware of how they are excluded (knowing it's not their job to teach you!).
5. It's an opportunity for you to practice humility, to listen, to receive, to let go of control.
Upcoming Gateway/Alternative NWTAs:
8/22-25/19 Barrier Free NWTA Prescott, AZ Apply
9/19-22/19 GBTQ Woodstock, IL Apply
10/17-20/19 French/English Trois Riviere, Quebec Apply
11/7-10/19 Spanish/English Elbert, CO Apply
11/14-17/19 YWTA Cold Spring, NY Apply
12/5-8/19 GBTQ New Hope, PA Apply
1/9-12/20 First Nation Chilliwack, BC Apply
Young Warriors in MKP Men who are ages 18-35 are often at a time in their lives where they are building their inner and outer worlds - embarking on educational pursuits, beginning careers, building businesses, starting families, and more. Men of this generation are growing into a world that is very different than it was even twenty years ago. They face both familiar and unique challenges in their personal and professional lives as well as distinct obstacles to engaging in MKP area governance and trainings. Check out the YW web site.
Nathan Knecht speaks in depth about the foundations of the Young Warrior Training Adventure - the whys, the whos and the hows!
READ more about the history, the why and the impact of Gateway NWTAs...